As someone who is lucky enough to work both in Troop Support and at our camps (a rare dual-role!), I can say that Troop Camp combines two of my favorite things: making it easy for Troop Leaders to have amazing, meaningful experiences with their troop… and Girl Scout camp!
Troop Camp is just what it sounds like: a summer camp session that your troop (plus two adult volunteers) experiences together. It is also so much more.
Girl Scout camp gives girls unique opportunities to try new things, get the knack of traditional camp activities, build confidence, and experience the outdoors – all while having tons of fun with their troop! And you, as their leader, get to take part in the fun right alongside your girls; witnessing and supporting the growth girls experience at camp and the lasting memories they make.
There’s a wide variety of troop camp options to fit your troop – there are sessions for every grade level throughout the summer, ranging from 1 day or 1 overnight, to a weekend, to 4 or 6 days at camp. It is also one of the easiest ways to have a great summer adventure with your troop – all you need to do is choose a session, sign up your girls and two adult volunteers to chaperone, show up, and we take care of the rest!
As if that’s not great enough, there are so many more reasons that going to troop camp is a great option for your troop this summer – here are just a few!
- Open to all: To bring your troop to camp, you don’t need any training, certifications, or experience (although if you do have awesome outdoor experience to share, we’d love to have you there too!)
- Good for first-timers: If you have girls (or leaders!) in your troop who are new to camp or being away from home, coming to troop camp is the perfect way to ease into these new experiences in a safe environment, alongside adults and girls they know and with the support of experienced camp staff.
- Girl-led: At all troop camps that are two overnights or longer, girls get to work together as a troop to choose what activities they want to do at camp, and build their own experience. This is the definition of girl-led programming!
- Access to experts: Even better, that means the troop chooses from the wide range of activities offered at camp, without you needing to worry about having someone with the right certification and knowledge – whatever they choose to do, we have all the certified and trained staff ready and waiting for your troop!
- More time for FUN! Since we take care of all the planning, meals, and activities, you as leaders get the chance to focus your time and energy on spending meaningful time with the girls in your troop, creating memories, and strengthening relationships. Even troops that have been together for years leave troop camp with stronger friendships and having learned new things about one another.
Interested in a Troop Camp experience with your troop this summer? Learn more in our troop camp brochure, and visit our camp website to register. As with all of our camps and events, financial aid is available so that all girls and troops can have this incredible experience.
Do you have questions or need more information about troop camp or a specific troop camp session? Contact us!
Are you already headed to a troop camp session with your troop this summer, or have other great summer adventures planned with your troop? Share with us in the comments!
Katie Bartels – Along with running programs and events and helping troop leaders, Katie also works with girls on their Gold Awards. She has a Bachelor’s degree from the University of Minnesota, where she studied Youth Studies, Family Social Science, Public Health, and Spanish. Katie has been a member of Girl Scouts ever since Kindergarten and has experience working with youth of all ages in various non-profit and school settings, including Girl Scout camps with River Valleys and another council. She enjoys all outdoor activities (especially canoeing and camping), exploring new cities and places, and spending time with her family and two cats.